Bored of charades? Christmas is a time for everyone to spend valuable time together. So it’s a little annoying when the kids disappear into separate rooms on their tablets and phones! Family games are a great way to bring everyone into the same room and if board games aren’t your thing then look no further. We’ve got a fantastic list of games that can be done on a tiny budget, at home without much effort and are sure to keep the kids around all day (or for as long as you want them!).
Minute to Win It
This originally American TV sensation took the world by storm when it asked contestants to perform seemingly simple tasks but also beat the clock. The competition includes games like:
- Keep Rolling – Unroll an entire toilet roll (to make it harder try with one hand!)
- Face the Cookie – Place a cookie on someone’s forehead. They have to use only their face muscles (no hands) to get it into their mouth. This can be done with an After 8 Mint Chocolate but expect it to melt!
- Defying Gravity – Give each player three balloons. They have to keep all three balloons up in the air at the same time
- Iron Man – Use a chopstick to stack as many iron nuts on top of each other as you can without them toppling over
All of which have to be done in 1 minute!
Dirty Santa/White Elephant
This is a present exchange where each participant brings a wrapped, unmarked present and places it in a designated area. Family/friends are given a number each and they select presents in that order — with a twist.
- On the first turn, the person assigned with the number 1 picks out a present and opens it so that everyone can see what it is.
- On the second turn, the person assigned with the number 2 gets the choice of “stealing” number 1’s unwrapped present or choosing a wrapped one from the pile.
- If number 2 steals number 1’s present, then number 1 must choose and open a wrapped present.
- As subsequent players take their turns, they either select a new present or take any already opened present from any of the other players.
- The game ends when the last wrapped present is chosen and opened.
Be warned – this game can get a little competitive! For more rules and fun ideas head over here.
Dairy Milk Game
This English staple takes us back to our Brownies and Scouts days! It involves cutting into a large wrapped (why make it easy?!) bar of Dairy Milk while the other contestants attempt to roll a 6 on a dice. The catch is that not only do you have to attempt to eat the chocolate with a knife and fork, you must first put on a hat, a scarf and a pair of gloves!
As soon as someone else rolls a 6, it is their turn to try and you’ve lost the chocolate.
This one can get noisy but is a treat for families of all ages, find out more here.
Heads Up! is the fun and hilarious game from American comedienne Ellen DeGeneres. The aim of the game is to guess the word on your phone screen that’s on your head from your friends’ clues before the timer runs out!
The app costs £0.99 on the app store but if you have some time on your hands why not go old-skool and design your own free version using post it notes!
Let’s not forget though the oldies-but-the-goodies Pictionary and Charades. No explanation required!
So, which games will you be playing this Christmas?
Still looking for fun ways to entertain the kids this holidays? Check out our country-wide handy activities guide here