What did you want to be when you were growing up? Chances are some of the choices included a fireman, pilot, popstar or doctor (personally I wanted to be a backing dancer on Top of the Tops – you’ve got to dream big hey?)! Well if your dream of becoming a doctor hasn’t faded then this event could be just what you’re looking for.
The Hampshire Medical Fund are organising a Medical Careers Seminar for Year 11 and Sixth Form students at Basingstoke Hospital on Tuesday 15th October. This is a great opportunity for students who are interested in reading Medicine or medical related degrees at University, to learn more about what it takes to work in the profession, what qualifications are required, and also to have a bit of hands-on fun with various simulators on the day!
What the event includes:
The Hampshire Medical Fund are fortunate to be supported by leading Professors, Consultants, Pharmacists and Junior Doctors at Basingstoke Hospital, many of whom will be speaking at the Seminar, including:
- Dr Andrew Bishop – Chief Medical Officer
- Dr Clare Polack – Programme Leader and Chair of Student Progress Committee, Faculty of Medicine, University of Southampton & GP, Southampton.
- Miss Fenella Welsh – Consultant General Surgeon
- Mr Tim Nedas – Consultant Urological Surgeon and Junior Doctors
- Dr Rebecca Arkwright – Junior GP in London
- Dr Victoria Bailey – Senior GP
- Miss Amareen Kamboh – Clinical Pharmacy Manager
- Mr Terry Watkins – General Medical & Vascular Sonographer
The aim of the event is to provide information and inspiration for students and presentations will be approximately 15/20 minutes followed by a short Q&A session.
The speakers will then remain at the Seminar for the refreshment break so that the students will have a more informal opportunity to talk to them. Several Consultants will be bringing equipment simulators so that the students will be able to have a “hands-on” session over the coffee break.
How to book:
The event will be taking place in Basingstoke, Hampshire, but places are available to all students/schools wishing to participate.
Where: The Ark Conference Centre at Basingstoke Hospital
When: Tuesday 15th October, 9am – 1pm
How: Places cost £15 per head (teachers are free), and booking can be done via their website here